In 2021, Acciaierie d’Italia (ADI) posted a turnover of €3.3 billion ($3.2 billion), up from €1.6 billion in 2020. In its 2021 sustainability report obtained by Kallanish, the steelmaker reports operating costs of €3 billion, including €1.5 billion for raw materials and various goods.
Last year, the company produced 4.1 million tonnes of crude steel, an increase from 3.4mt in 2020. This, coupled with raw material price increases, drove the cost increase. The company has 3,200 suppliers, of which 87% are in Italy and the rest abroad. ADI sells over 75% of its volumes in Italy, 20% in other EU countries and the remaining 4% in the rest of the world. The main outlet is Germany, followed by Spain, Turkey and France.
Last year, 87 of ADI’s products were shipped by vessels, almost 12% by truck and only over 1% were delivered by railway.
ADI shipped 3.9mt of finished products and semis, mostly seaborne, the cheapest transport mode. The steelmaker received 29,246 tonnes of slab for re-rolling.
Last year, the company focused on improving its products for the automotive and packaging industries. It says it continues to heavily invest in the energy transition, decarbonisation, energy efficiency, and the circular economy. It is also developing new products such as high-resistant plate for the shipbuilding sector, together with pipe for gas transport.
The investments underway and planned for the Taranto steelworks amount to €1.7 billion.
ArcelorMittal owns 62% of ADI, while the remaining 38% is held by state-owned investment vehicle Invitalia. According to the 2020 agreement between the two partners, Invitalia’s shareholding in the steelmaker will be raised to 60% next year (see Kallanish passim).
Natalia Capra France